Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tasty Tuesday--BBQ Meatloaf

Here is the first recipe for my weekly section, "Tasty Tuesday". I could not think of a better recipe to post than our family's favorite--BBQ Meatloaf. This recipe began with my granny, Sallie Pearl Bradham Gunn. It was then passed down to my mama and then to me. I can remember my mama making this often when Brandon and I were dating and would could home from college for the weekend. Once Brandon got in good with my family (it didn't take long!), my mama would ask "what would Brandon like to eat while y'all are home?" I would say, "Whoa now, what about what MARIE wants to eat?!" Nope, that just wouldn't do; I think they wanted Brandon to stay around as much as I did! Brandon's reply to mama's question would always immediately be, BBQ Meatloaf. And that's what we ate; it never got old. Recently when Brandon's sister, Hallie, and her boyfriend, John, came to visit I cooked BBQ Meatloaf with macaroni and cheese, corn on the cob, green beans, and biscuits (and Paula Deen's banana pudding for dessert...yum) for Sunday lunch. The meatloaf won their hearts as well and now it is even more frequent of a request. So here it is readers...Sallie Pearl's BBQ Meatloaf. Enjoy!

BBQ MEATLOAF
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (the leaner the better to prevent excess fat)
1 cup bread crumbs (fresh or bought)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce

Combine meat, bread crumbs, onion, egg, and 1/2 can tomato sauce in large bowl (you can mix together using your hands). Shape into a loaf and place in lightly greased loaf pan. Set aside and make sauce (directions below).













Sauce: 
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 1/2 cans tomato sauce

Combine above ingredients in a small bowl, using a whisk, and pour evenly over meat loaf. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.



 



                                                                         Ta da! This is an after picture...we couldn't wait any longer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment