Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thunder Thighs Thursday--Death by Caramel Bars

Sorry guys but you will not find a "live from the kitchen" picture of these succulent bars; they contain too many calories and I refuse to make them unless they are for an event away (far away) from our house. I know myself too well. Confections like these too often sit around on our counter top, stare at me with their evil eyes, and beg to be eaten. It's only a matter of minutes before I fall into their trap. But don't worry, I am following my mama's rule and taste-testing all of the recipes I post. I ate a "Death by Caramel" bar at a Sunday School function several months ago. Brandon was the guinea pig who brought a bar to the table where we were sitting. Before long I, along with several others, found myself grabbing one off of the pretty platter they were occupying. Oh my!, it was rich and caramelly to the last morsel. A keeper recipe for sure.

The recipe was found by my friend, Mary Beth, at myrecipes.com.  Enjoy!

Death by Caramel Bars Recipe

Death By Caramel Bars
Ingredients
  • 3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 2 cups unsalted butter, melted
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup uncooked regular oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 (2.07-oz.) chocolate-coated caramel-peanut nougat bars, chopped (we tested with Snickers)
  • 1 (14-oz.) can dulce de leche*
Preparation
  • Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture, stirring just until blended. Fold in chopped candy bars.
  • Spoon batter into a greased aluminum foil-lined 13" x 9" pan coated with cooking spray, allowing foil to extend over ends of pan. (Pan will be very full.) Spoon dollops of dulce de leche over batter; swirl slightly into batter with a knife. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack, and cool completely. (This may take several hours.) Use foil to lift uncut brownies out of pan. Peel foil away from sides of uncut brownies, and cut into bars.
  • *Find dulce de leche with other Mexican ingredients or on the baking aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment